The "Time Out" guide to Budapest describes it as something like (i'm typing this from memory) smells like a hospital corridor, and as bitter as cold winter's night.
It doesn't go over well in the states, where Jaegermeister is about as adventuresome as people get. (To me, Jaegermeister tastes like green kool-aid with extra sugar.)
Drink it in shots, with a glass of soda water nearby, in case you need it.
One Hungarian T-Shirt calls it "The best stomach-strengthening liquor"! It's also considered a tonic, and it is theraputic for a great many ailments. Personally, I strengthen my stomach with it :)
Here's what some other web pages say about it:
Although the recipe is a strictly guarded secret, that much is certain that UNICUM is made of a mix of over 40 different kinds of handpicked medicinal herbs and spices.
[ Bár a receptje titkos, annyi bizonyos, hogy az UNICUM több mint 40 féle gondosan válogatott gyógy- és fűszernövény keverékéből készül. ]
„Das ist ein UNIKUM". ["That is unique!"] These were the words of Kaiser Joseph II after he had tasted the drink for the first time to the Zwack ancestor who, while court physician, invented this extraordinary drink in 1790. This statement gave the drink its present name, which perhaps says all that needs to be said about it. Unicum, one of the most popular Hungarian spirit brands, has for over 200 years represented premium quality, a characteristic aroma, unique presentation and Hungarian tradition. The name Zwack guarantees all of this.
And what is Unicum? Its exact composition cannot be revealed because the recipe is a secret... What may be disclosed, however, is that Unicum is a skilful blend of more than 40 carefully selected herbs and spices. The lengthy ageing process which takes place over 6 months in oak casks gives Unicum its inimitable bitter-sweet flavour and exotic bouquet. Unicum makes a perfect aperitif or dessert drink due to its beneficial and soothing effect on the stomach.
Unicum - Unicum is a national institution. Produced for over 150 years to a secret recipe by the Zwack family, this bitter liqueur contains more than forty different herbs. Worshipped by many as a 'cure all', Unicum is sold in unique bomb shaped bottles which feature a golden cross on the front. Usually drunk as an apéritif, Unicum is an acquired taste, although strangely enough most Hungarians swear by it. Known also as the "national accelerator" (for good reason) when drunk alternately with pints of beer.
441.   What is Conware?
412.   Interested in using Java in Debian?   [jake/2004-08-28]
391.   Is E.B. White of Strunk and White fame the same one who wrote Charlotte's Web?   [overcode/2003-11-03]
339.   R. U. ready to Impeach the Entire Political Mainstream and Dramatically Decrease the Threat of International Terrorism?   [strick/2002-12-06]
319.   why do i get an error "make: don't know how to make /usr/share/tmac/tmac.andoc. Stop" when building a pkg on netbsd?   [jesse/2002-08-10]
314.   How can you talk to deaf people on the phone? (Thanks Mr. Jeff Young)   [jake/2002-05-11]
244.   Does Jeffrey read too many web comics each day?   [strick/2001-06-06]
221.   Where can I find information about odd places in San Francisco?   [rupe/2001-06-04]
184.   Just how many people are their, anyway?   [les/2001-02-22]
168.   What's the Official Fag Razor of the YAK?   [strick/2001-01-29]
74.   How many roads must a man walk down?   [vonguard/2000-04-04]
73.   How many Zelda games are there?   [vonguard/2001-06-25] ( combee/2001-07-10 mennonite/2001-03-27 )
64.   Where are other sites about YAKS (the animals)?   [strick/2000-02-20]
23.   What is an extropian?   [strick/2000-01-19]
16.   Where are the SF Bay Area Cypherpunk physical meetings?   [strick/2001-04-08]